Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mantra

I get these emails from What To Expect.com that keeps me informed of what's going on with the baby and my body. This was today's email.

Weight Worries During Pregnancy
Repeat after me: I am not fat, I am growing a baby. After a lifetime of watching your weight, it can be unnerving (and sometimes depressing) to watch it go up, up, up. Whenever you feel bummed about your expanding girth (and your expanding bum), remind yourself that there's a beautiful reason your body is changing. To fuel that baby growth at 25 weeks pregnant, you need to keep your growth going, too, so dieting is never an option when you're expecting. Instead, eat as healthy as you can (remember, you share every bite with your baby), and eat as much as you need to in order to gain at the right rate. (One more time, with feeling: I am not fat, I am growing a baby!)

So...I guess I have a new mantra. I am still eating really well and treat myself only every now and then. My walking regimen hasn't started. It's crazy, I have this thing called a life and it just gets in the way of my non routine things and then it's bed time. I have been waking up really early and should use that time to walk, but I'd just rather a) lay there and try to go back to sleep or b) get up and go to work early so I can get more accomplished.

This morning I had to grab a jacket on the way out the door. It fit everywhere but my belly. I am not fat, I am growing a baby! I think, wait I hope, my butt has stopped growing wide. That bible school song pops into my head every time I think of that. You know 'Deep and wide, deep and wide, There's a fountain flowing deep and wide' Well it's more like this in my world, 'Deep and wide, deep and wide there's a mountain growing deep and wide.' I think my tummy is starting to grow outward instead of my butt spreading. I'm like a Transformer. I go from robot to military tank to house back to a robot - - and most of the time it depends on my outfit. I am not fat, I am growing a baby!

Remember and repeat......
I am not fat, I am growing a baby!
There is a beautiful reason my body is changing.
And gosh darn it, people like me.

4 comments:

Angela said...

You are, always have been, and always will be beautiful! You've got a whole other person growing inside of you right now...that's an awesome thing! You are very beautiful and very loved!!

Susie S said...

I need to print that out and highlight that part about dieting while pregnant isn't good for my doctor. After spending years 'on a diet' it is very hard to let go and accept and love that you are gaining weight! We are not getting fat! We are growing a baby! love you! wish you lived at the lakes still so you could walk with me. Daniel is too fast for my waddle.

Britt said...

So glad you are out of a rut somewhat. I am sure you are radiant!

Jennifer said...

Amen to your mantra, sista. It's all good. It doesn't feel all good, but wait till Hill gets here. You'll realize it doesn't matter so much most of the time. You're gorgeous.