I know, I know, it's about time I blogged. What a better time than right this very second....I'm feeling productive as I sit in bed watching CBS News Sunday Morning (what a great program), catching a glimpse out the corner of my eye of my freshly organized closet, and the last load of laundry in the wash. Yes, I am feeling productive. Get ready for all reading and no visuals!
As some of you may know I can't fully function until everything is in it's place. I've always been that way - in high school I had to complete everything on my to do list before I started homework, in college I had to have a clean apartment before I could focus on my studies. I'm still like that with my desk at work and especially in my home. I think it's some form of OCD? Long story short, Christmas decorations are down, leaves in the driveway and back patio are blown off, house is decent and the puppies lay sweetly in my bed resting their eyes. Good feeling.
Where is Chippy? He is at the 3rd (or 4th?) Annual Mountain Man Weekend. The last weekend of every year him and his buddies go to one of their cabins and drink, play cards, hunt, grill out, scratch their butts, watch football - anything that involves great volume of testosterone. Come Monday they will start planning for 2008 Mountain Man - this is a 365 day process. It's almost like a fraternity. Let's just say they start growing their beards out around Thanksgiving and this will be the first year I've spent New Year's with Chip in the past 3-4 years since it falls on a Tuesday. We have no plans for New Year's Eve, but I have big plans for the year 2008.
1) The ol' cliche resolution that always makes the list - lose weight. I started prepping for this one early with the help of my doctor. I'll let you know how it goes. I feel with my accomplishing day number 43 of clean lungs this is a good mindset to change habits and become more motivated.
2) Listen more.....My mind always runs 7439 miles per hour and goes from one thought to the next and I most always have something to say. I read an article that said the average human has between 50,000-60,000 thoughts per day and 80% of them are usually negative. I want to change the negative thoughts and learn to listen better.
3) Continual Education. I want to focus really hard on learning the calculations and formulas that will help me in my job.
4) Read more. I've been reading this book on leadership and have really enjoyed it - Developing the Leader Within You. I have started a list of a couple of books I'd like to read next. I hope this leads to trips to the library.
5) De-Clutter. Is that a word? You catch my drift. I've already started on this 43 days ago. I don't want any "stuff" just sitting around. Maybe become more of a minimalist - I need simplicity in my life.
6) Save $. Again, cliche...but I have done a ton of research this past month on ways to save and cut corners and managed to save us about $140 a month on house phone, cell phone, Internet (which will triple the speed), pest control and then once we sell the house from hell (no it still hasn't sold) that will be an extra $150 in my pocket. So potentially $300 a month in savings. I'll let you know if my plan worked once I receive my bills for the things I have changed up next month; then if it works I can share with you what I have done. I still have to research our car and house insurance and if we can save more by switching agents.
7) Find a hobby. My hubby loves to fish in the Spring/Summer and hunt in the Fall/Winter leaving poor Rach-y bored. Once I finish "de-cluttering" I need to find something to preoccupy my time. I was thinking once Spring comes I will be able to work on my yard. Lisa...wanna come help? I need ideas!! We fenced in the back yard and it's taken away from the woodsy ambiance that once was, makes me sad. I don't have a green thumb or the financial capability to do what I vision, but I can try to make do.
Another hobby is to bust out Mamaw's sewing machine. I want to make a T-shirt Blanket -- I've already put all of my college t-shirts in a pile and then have another pile of my favorite t's to do a second quilt. If it turns out - I'll make you one too!
I think these resolutions are feasible. I will need all the moral support I can get. What is/are your New Year resolutions? I'm determined 2008 will be great.
Sunday, December 02, 2007
No silly head! This isn't my last post EVER, only until I get my new laptop. Should be in this week....if not then I shall talk to you upon it's arrival. Chip is taking this dinosaur to Alabama 2 days after he made it super fast by adding more RAM. That punk - he probably knew all along he could do that! This piece made me pull out every hair on my body waiting for it to do well, anything. This is Rachel, signing out from the hunk of junk hopefully forever! Until next time when I will write you from my super speedy, state of the art, probably takes pictures of it beauty while scratching my back and types what my mind is thinking - machine.