Friday, September 21, 2012

Elton John – Your Blog...err umm, I mean Your Song

Finally, on September 11th my dream of seeing Elton came true. If you remember we went to Vegas in February to see him…but he cancelled. Bummer. So I was hell bent – stomach virus or not – to go see Elton in Jackson, MS. I was willing to take on the repercussions of vomiting all over those around me should those measures had happened. I. WAS. SEEING. ELTON. So thank goodness (for the people sitting by us) Chip and I were over our plague by Tuesday evening. We were weak, but I was strong…Yes, Jesus Loves Me.

So, the evening started with Nagoya, a favorite sushi restaurant of ours. (Perfect on an empty post stomach virus stomach, right?) I ate the hibachi as I am with child and cannot partake in my usual faves. Chip ate his regular, eel box and sashimi. We arrived at the coliseum at about 7:20 and ended up getting settled rather quickly. Good parking spot, not too much traffic and strangely enough ended up at the entry by the door where we were seated. Bonus! We were semi in the nose bleed section, but at the Coliseum there really isn’t a “bad” seat. Heck, just being in the same building, in the same presence, in the same hearing distance of Elton was Ah-Mazing!

I warned Chip that I was going to cry. I knew I would. I was so going to be one of those teeny-bopper girls that screamed and cried all bizerko like when they saw the Beatles. Yup, that was going to be me, so heads up.

When Elton came on stage I felt the tears well up in my eyes. His jacket was sparkly and he was there in front of my tear blurred eyes. My nose burned because I was trying to fight back the urge to sob uncontrollably. My whole entire world for the next 3 hours was absolutely inexplicably surreal. There are many words that come to mind, awe struck, talent, appreciation, bliss, elation, I could only sit and relish in the glory of the moment – hoping it would never ever never end.

Elton played most EVERY song you would know. There were two I didn’t know, one he’d made up about the Holiday Inn for fun as that is where he always stays. Then the other one I just wasn’t familiar with. He could have played the freaking hokey pokey and I’d have just sat there in a trans. Entertainer he is for sure. I cannot imagine being 65 and playing the piano and singing with such ease and flair and gift for THREE solid hours. The man never stopped. No intermission, he’d get up after every few songs and take a sip of water and wave and thank everyone then sit back down to play.

I don’t think I really pictured Elton to be a high maintenance diva, but I certainly didn’t expect him to be as humble and appreciative of us, his fans, as he was. He thanked us and told us what a privilege it was to play for us and to be able to do what he loves and is passionate about night after night for 40 years. He had me at “Hello.” I was like putty in his musical trans. I love Elton John, but after seeing him perform, I cannot describe the talent that emits from this man, Legendary. I love him more. Even if you didn’t like Elton, (shame on you) if you like ANY music you would appreciate the performance that was put on.

I have a hard time choosing a favorite Elton song. Top 3 I would probably have to say (today) are: Rocket Man, Levon, and then Your Song.

Your Song is pure poetry. To me it’s saying; I am what I am and it may not be that fantastic, but having you in my life makes everything wonderful and worthwhile. Your Song means so much more to me now that I’m a mother. Deep deep stuff. Very simple but profound and touching.

"It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside I'm not one of those who can easily hide I don't have much money, but boy if I did I'd buy a big house where we both could live
If I was a sculptor, but then again, no Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do My gift is my song, and this one's for you
And you can tell everybody this is your song It may be quite simple, but now that it's done I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words How wonderful life is while you're in the world
I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss Well, a few of the verses, well, they've got me quite cross But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song It's for people like you that keep it turned on
So excuse me forgetting, but these things I do You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue Anyway the thing is what I really mean Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen
And you can tell everybody this is your song It may be quite simple, but now that it's done I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words How wonderful life is while you're in the world
I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words How wonderful life is while you're in the world"

He played Your Song as an encore. It was what I waited patiently for all night. I sat on the edge of my seat and bawled like a baby. Tears, snot, short huffy breaths, the whole 9 yards. Chip patted me on the back at one point and asked if I was going to be alright. I guess he’d thought I’d held it together all night with glassed over teary eyes that that was as bad as it would get. Nope. It was like I was detoxing in the element, the pure surreal being of the moment. I’d see Elton 100 million more times if given the opportunity and I'd probably cry all the same every time. He makes me so happy.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the opening act and addition to Elton’s ensamble, 2 Cellos. Do yourself a favor and look them up. Not your two typical cellists. They are two Croatian guys that play the cello like I’ve never heard before ever. They are classically trained, but play things like Michael Jackson “Smooth Criminal,” Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” and their repertoire goes on and on with a multi generation target and genre of music. Definitely not your usual cello music. They make their 2 cellos sound like an entire band. Phenomenal. I’d for sure go see them in concert and will be purchasing their CD.

A special thank you to my husband for fulfilling my life-long dream of seeing Sir Elton John perform. A special thank you to my mother for keeping my first born child so I could fulfill this life-long dream. Reid loves Elton just as much as I do because even in utero she danced and danced the whole time he performed. And a special thank you to my dear Elton for loving what you do, doing it so well and sharing your gift of song with us all.

Side stories: So on the way to the concert Chip said, “Oh, I have a surprise for you. I got Elton’s cell phone number. Let’s call him.” Chip’s business partners name is Elton, once I figured out what he was doing I cracked up laughing. Elton didn’t answer but he had a song to sing me, which I’m sure would have been hilarious, as Elton is a funny rare bird….but he’d probably be making fun of Sir Elton and then I’d have been like…don’t make fun. So I may be glad he didn’t answer.

The other story was, as an 8 month pregnant person I was able to hold my tt for like an hour and 45 minutes (so half way through the concert.) I could no longer hold it so I told Chip I’d grab him a beer if he wanted one while I was up. Little did I know that the beer “b” (rhymes with witch) would give me the crooked why is this pregnant woman buying beer anyway eyebrow look. Don’t judge, it’s not for me. Pregnant women should be automatically trumped to the front of the line anyway. We are obviously taking one for the team. But alas, we must wait and miss the FREAKING TRIFECTA of Elton John songs…Candle in the Wind, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road & Rocket Man. Seriously. Thank goodness I ran into my friend Danielle in line and we were probably the most fun people in the beer line singing and dancing our hearts out while the rest of the line missed out on the glory of the moment by being disgruntled at the slow beer “b’s.” I do have to admit, they were saaahhh-low.

I get the best pregnant wife of the year award for standing in line for something so tasty that I couldn’t even have... all the while missing the trifecta mother load from the live lips of Elton. I was not upset though. He played everything I wanted to hear plus more. “Ohh no, Nakita you’ll never know”….the awesomeness of the entire night!

I think I just may rename my blog to Your Blog.

And you can tell everybody this is your blog It may be quite simple, but now that it's done I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words How wonderful life is while you're in the world.

Here is a picture of us before the concert. You can tell the dorky "I'm so excited" look on my face and the "please don't take our picture" look on Chip's face.

Then of course, Elton in action. Amazing.

No comments: