Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Couvade syndrome

Do you know what Couvade Syndrome is? Well I didn’t either until I became pregnant with Reid. I’d heard about its symptoms but never believed it to be real, only a myth. Didn’t even know the disorder had a name until the other day. I have to tell you my friends…it exists.

Couvade Syndrome is annoying. It doesn’t hurt you or the baby it only disallows you to wallow in the pregnancy blahs because “he has them too.” Couvade Syndrome is when your husband or partner has all the pains and pangs of pregnancy while you are pregnant.

She says: Oh my swollen feet.
He says: Oh, I know, my feet are swollen too (and they really are)

She says: I’m exhausted
He says: I didn’t sleep a wink, I tossed and turned all night.

She LEARNS to say:
So does your lower back hurt today too?

How is your nausea today?

I’m getting up to get some Tums for my heartburn, would you like some too?

(Insert ailment here) and comment how his is.

So I’m just waiting for him to birth a baby out of his penis hole. Then I will find sympathy for him. It’s become quite silly. Hilarious and annoying, but simply silly. For Pete’s sake I came home the other day and the man had gone to the grocery store to buy dill pickles because he was craving them. He ate them right out of the jar. I’m dead serious. I can’t make this psychosomatic stuff up.

The Mayo Clinic states:
Couvade syndrome is a term used to describe a situation in which an otherwise healthy man — whose partner is expecting a baby — experiences pregnancy-related symptoms. While some research suggests that Couvade syndrome (sympathetic pregnancy) is common, it isn't a recognized mental illness or disease. Further studies are needed to determine whether Couvade syndrome is a physical condition with psychological causes.

Symptoms reported to be associated with Couvade syndrome vary widely and typically occur only during the first and third trimesters of pregnancy. Physical symptoms may include nausea, heartburn, abdominal pain, bloating, appetite changes, respiratory problems, toothaches, leg cramps, backaches, and urinary or genital irritations. Psychological symptoms that may be related to Couvade syndrome include changes in sleeping patterns, anxiety, depression, reduced libido and restlessness.

Whether Couvade syndrome is real or not, what's certain is that becoming a new dad can be exciting, emotional and stressful. If you're a man whose partner is pregnant, take steps to manage stress and prepare for fatherhood. Attend prenatal classes. Seek out advice and encouragement from friends and family. Talk to your partner. Understanding and planning for the challenges ahead can help ease your transition into fatherhood.

Will someone please “seek out advice and encouragement” for him he just doesn't have the energy as he is carrying an imaginary child in his non existant womb. It's exhausting. Bless his heart. Gotta love him.

1 comment:

DenKag said...

I usually call that "Men Being Whiney" syndrome. But I think it exists with or without pregnancy!