Monday, April 23, 2007

Big Day

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY! No, my birthday was last month and my wedding anniversary was 2 weeks ago. What other big days are there? My ear surgery is tomorrow, Tuesday. Am I nervous is the burning question I keep being asked. The answer is no. Nope, not at all. I expect to go in there and be heavily drugged and not remember a thing. I'm not nervous at the fact they may have to cut my ear back to remove a cyst and graph a new eardrum so that "maybe" I'll hear again one day....yet I am nervous about the after math - the most stupid stuff to most people. I am to expect pain and dizziness for a couple of days, which doesn't bother me, but it's the ear drops. I may rather have my foot amputated than have any drops put into any orifice of my body (I think SM2 once saw my tantrum and fear.) This may quite possibly be the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I am being serious. Not only do I have to put these drops in my ear for a really long time I have to have packing in my ear. No biggie right? Not if they were just going to sew me back up or remove the packing one day - no sir, I have to leave the packing in my head and use the evil drops to dissolve the packing. This will cause "crackling" in my ear - The second thing I fear. I get the heebie geebies anytime my ears pop, change pressure or equalize. So, drops and cracking - that is what I am most nervous about.

Dr. House, who is nothing like the TV Dr. House, is allegedly the best of the best and I trust him fully. The problem is he won't be there every day to sedate me with elephant tranquilizers to put these drops in my ear. What if I fall by the way side and end up with a head full of packing, forever? What happens if my inner bandaging doesn't go away or dissolve - I'd have a stinky head for one, but that just can't be safe. Why God, why do they have to leave that in there? Aren't there malpractice suits for leaving stuff in people after surgery? I know that he knows what he's doing. I am just thinking of ways out of this crackeling packing drop causing episode.

Sigh, with a tear rolling down my cheek. At least my mom will be here for me. She flys in tonight and I will go eat a yummy Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad from Amerigos as my pre crackeling Last Supper. I'd like to drink heavily, but no alcohol before surgery.

Wish me luck good friends - after tomorrow I will be on the right track that hopefully in 6 months to a year - I will be able to hear you loud and clear. Oh the things we do for senses...you know you don't need a foot for any of your senses (except feel, but you'd have another to do that with.) So next time I talk to you all I will either have a new eardrum or no foot.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Susan - hope you had a Happy Anniversary! Miss you and love you - R

Jennifer said...

Good luck! We'll be thinking of you tomorrow, and moreso during the aftermath of crackling and eardrops. You can do it. On-on!

Susie S said...

Good luck Rachel! I'll be happy to put drops in your ear for you again!

Lisa Blair said...

Hey Rachel - Thinking of you today! You'll be back on track in no time!

Leah Maria said...

Hope the surgery went well!