Friday, September 03, 2010

No Thanks, I Can Do It Myself!

So, my son is knocking on 8 months old next week and he thinks that he knows everything already.  I mean, he does get it honestly - our household is a plethora of knowledge, mostly useless....but knowledge none the less.  If I don't know the answer then Chip surely does.  Anyway, the point is that my son is 8 months going on 18 years.  I have noticed he's Mr. Independent now that he's been crawling full blast for the past 3 weeks.  So, since he thinks he is Mr. Smarty Pants I thought I'd put him to the test.
He's been getting aggrivated at his bottle and his spoon lately, and personally his spoon is my least favorite part of him being a baby.  I know this sounds dumb, but spoon feeding makes me tired.  You see, when I feed him I tend to open my mouth too - like when you put on mascara and you can't help but make the open mouth mascara face.  Well, I do something of the sorts when he eats.  It's as if I am making sure ALL the food gets in his mouth by making my mouth open wider for him.  It's rediculous, I know.  So, spoon feeding makes my jaw tired. 
Well I decided since Mr. Big Shot wants to be self sufficient then maybe this is an opportunity to give my jaw a rest.  Last night I served him the Gerber Graduates cheese ravioli for toddlers.  It's a pick up type food where my big man on campus can feed himself and mommys jaw can take a rest. 
He feeds himself his snacks and puffs with his hands so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  Well he showed me because he ended up wanting to feed himself with a fork.  I did cut up the already tiny ravioli into 3 or 4 pieces so he didn't choke - the boy only has 2 teeth on bottom.  Here are some pictures of how things went.
Me & my big boy food
I can do it myself
& LEFT HANDED
Trying a fork for the first time
went over really well....
UNTIL
He thought he could do it himself
(left handed)
That was alright, could have been dangerous, but he was insisting on doing it himself.
Then I have to wash it all down with my sippy cup
BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT BIG BOYS DO!
Lord help me and Chip ... a mini us. 
Can the world (or my sanity) handle it?

No comments: