Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Ahhh, Parenthood & Poop

Sorry no pictures today because I am in the process of trying to locate my USB cord for my digital camera.  I'm sure it's in my car under the seat or in my kitchen in the junk drawer...or possibly in my closet under the clean clothes piled on the floor where I found the Wii remotes a few weeks ago.  As much as I'd like to blame Hill for taking things and putting them in random places - I know it's me and my "oh, I'll put it here that way I'll know where it is when I need it" concept.

So here is the beauty of parenthood.  I'm in the shower this morning and as I'm getting out I hear Chip telling Hill...   "No, Buddy! Oh gosh, Oh no...don't take your diaper off.  Oh Buddy you poo poo'd.  Awe man.  Hill, no.  You can't do that." 
I can see all this playing out as I'm listening from the bedroom.  I dry off and am trying not to burst into laughter.  I wrap the towel around me and walk through the house to scope out the damage.  I see the dirty diaper in the middle of the living room and hear Chip and Hill in Hill's room on the changing table.  Chip is a super dad, he's such a good sport.  Hill is cracking up laughing and I'm trying to keep a straight face.  Oh the funny memories we make.  This was definately a first and hopefully a last.  I feared this day because Hill loves to take his clothes off.  *Sigh - I know right?
The other day his teacher said they put him in his crib after lunch to clean up and there were a few kids playing near his crib.  So in order to keep their attention, and I assume vicariously play with them, he took off his pants and tossed them to the kids.  Then he took his blanket and tossed it out of the crib to them. 
So, this diaper thing was just inevitably the next step I guess.  I hope it doesn't happen in public!  I hope he's not like some zoo monkey where he throws his poo at you through his cage crib. 

Then to top it off last week at daycare they said he had a string in his - well I'll spare you, but anyway he obviously ate some yarn of sorts. They flipped a little because they thought it was a tapeworm...but thank HEAVEN it was string.  I would have to send Hill to live outside if he got a tapeworm, sorry son I love you but you can't stay here.  Back to the string, I pondered a second and it hit me... Do you remember a month or two ago he was eating his crib?  Yup, well I put a towl over the rail with some zip ties instead of buying the plastic cover which I feared he'd break his teeth on or the rubber cover that he'd just chew off...anyway I noticed the towel was looking a little ragged.  Didn't think he was INGESTING the towel, but I guess he was.  So now the towel is off and he is free to eat the wooden crib until I can get the plastic cover for the rail.  If he breaks a tooth at least it won't be a permanent one.

I will have to make a seperate post about all the things Hill is doing now.  None of them are as obscene as taking off his dirty diaper or eating towel string, but he is learning so much now.  He can identify and say things - my favorite most ultimate favorite word to hear him say is banana.  It sounds like 'n-yah n-yah' absolutely precious.  He gets so excited for himself too, it makes us proud.  His wisdom never ceases to amaze me.  Thanks to the 100 First Words book that Jason & Gena gave him he's learning so many words through recognition. 

Just a reminder - tomorrow we leave for Memphis.  Hill has his follow up appointment with Dr. Shell.  We hope to know more about the next step, when it is and the process.  I somewhat feel like I'm on hold until I get things set up and confirmed.  I would like to sign Hill up for swimming lessons this summer, but I don't know how long he can't be in water for.  I called Dr. Shell and he said learning to swim was way more important than fixing his lip right now.  Well, as much as I appreciate Dr. Shell being nonchilant - - I'm not.  Plus, I'm sure he doesn't know it is a 16 week swim lesson program.

In other important news Chip and I will be celebrating your fifth year of marriage on Friday.  Go us!  I look forward to spending it at the place where we have some fond memories and where we spent our dating years...Oxford.  Then Saturday is my big race day.  Whitney Pettit and I are running the Jean Jones Memorial Run on the Ole Miss campus.  I say 'race' like I'm in a speed race, but really it's a 5K (3.1 miles) and I'm in it for the accomplishment.  I've come to accept that I am going to be bringing in the rear and the last scraggler across the line...but I'm doing it.  Go me!  Wish me luck!

It will be great to get away for a few days with my sweet little family.  Love me some Hawkins boys.

3 comments:

Britt said...

Reading your blog makes my day. Keep up the good work.

Jennifer said...

Happy anniversary and you GO, girl. I'm so proud! Love that Hill and his poo-monkey stories.

jamielee79 said...

I just found your blog accidentally and love it! Keep up the good work. The diaper and poo story had me dying laughing at work so I had to share.