Thursday, May 05, 2011

Swimming Lessons

Hill had his first swimming lessons on Monday, May 2nd.  JJ and I are taking Hill and Harvey to Jackson every Monday for 16 weeks.  It's far and it's only for 30 minutes, but I'm ok with that.  If Hill gets one single thing from this class whether it be the understanding of water, safety instincts or just how to kick and splash it's worth it to me.
He did fantastic and loved the water.  I didn't get any pictures because I was too busy holding him in the water....although he was a bit upset that I had to hold him and he couldn't just go do his thing and be Mr. Independent.  There are a total of 6 children in the class.  They all seemed pretty close to Hill's age.  Some a little younger and a couple a little older.  Hill weighed 500 lbs in his disposable swim diaper, then the reusable swim diaper that goes over the disposable swim diaper then his bathing suit.  We won't be doing the bating suit again....we have to drop some cargo.  He was like a little lead weight. 
He had a big ol grin on his face the whole time in the water.  He loved to be held under his arms and float by my side on his stomach while kicking his legs.  He's not a very good kicker yet, but we've been practicing in the tub...Kick, Kick, Kick!  The teacher, Ms. Amanda, had us go to the side and teach them how to get out of the pool it's "elbow, elbow, tummy, knee, knee"  I've not quite figured out how he has enough upper body strength or coordination to figure this out, but hey, we are learning, right?  Ms. Amanda had us sing songs and play on a rubber ducky mat.  We are to teach them how to put thier mouth in and blow bubbles.  She said that if they see you do it they will start mimicking you.  Hill has tried a couple times in the tub to do it, but it's not as fun as in the pool.
There is a baby slide that each of the kids got to go down.  Hill was upset that he didn't get another turn and didn't understand the concept of taking turns.  Each kid only got to go down once.

I look forward to going back next Monday.  I will be a little more prepared on what to expect.  You know when you become complacent with a routine or a place or something you do every day like your job; you expect everyone else to just know how things work.  I'm guilty of that...but so were the people at the swim school.  I had no idea what to do, where to go, even after asking and it took 10 minutes of our 30 minute swim time to figure out where to go change and how to even go through the doors to get to the pool.  So, like I said, we will be more prepared for the next lesson.   Hopefully I can get pictures of my little fish or as Hill says, "fsshhh."

Also, my friend recommended this sunscreen after reading about Hill's allergic reaction.

I read the reviews it got the best reviews and ratings, California Baby.  I'm sure it's worth it, but it sure cost a pretty penny.  $20 bucks for a 2.9oz tube.  Either we will be staying inside for the rest of Hill's life or we have to ration the sunblock so we can pay the mortgage.  I'll let you know how it works soon.


No comments: